Sam Oosthuizen is a director in our Dispute Resolution practice. Sam's areas of specialisation are aviation litigation, banking law including bills of exchange, documentary letters of credit and bills of exchange, anti-bribery and corruption, and forensic investigations.
Sam began his career in 1983 as a candidate attorney at Cliffe Dekker and Todd (now Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr). In 1985, Sam was appointed as an associate and became a director in 1988.
- BProc, University of Johannesburg
- Year of admission as an attorney: 1985
Law Society of the Northern Provinces
- Represented various financial institutions in a number of reported cases involving bills of exchange, financing arrangements, exchange control, customised trade solutions, security documentation and letters of credit.
- Advised and assisted banks and audit firms with forensic investigations.
- Advised London underwriters in respect of various issues relating to insurance.
- Acted for a number of international airlines relating to claims and losses and in respect of damage to aircraft.
- Advised financial institutions as well as other corporate entities as well as liquidators and receivers in respect of insolvency and related issues.
Chambers Global 2012 and 2013 Sam is ranked Band 4 Dispute Resolution. He is noted for his particular expertise in aviation and banking matters. He represents Nedbank in several cases, including a ZAR1.5 billion dispute with Pinnacle Holdings.
- The Legal 500 EMEA series 2007 to 2014 commended Sam for banking and financial services (including insurance) litigation. He is named as one of the recommended lawyers in Dispute Resolution.
- Practical Law CompanyPLC Which Lawyer? 2011 and 2012 endorsed Sam as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution.
- Who's Who Legal - International Who's Who of of Business Lawyers 2011 selected Sam as one of the world's leading lawyers.
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers 2007 to 2010: named Sam (through in-house counsel and peer research) among South Africa's pre-eminent Litigation lawyers.
- Best Lawyers International 2013 South Africa listed Sam in Arbitration and Mediation as well as Litigation.