Ludwig Smith is a director in our Finance and Banking practice. Ludwig advises clients on typical banking and finance transactions in which banks make funding available to their clients. Ludwig also advises clients on the formation of investment vehicles and advises banks and mining companies on tax issues.
- BCom LLB HDip (Company Law), University of the Witwatersrand
- Year of admission as an attorney: 1982
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces
- Acted for Old Mutual in their demutualisation.
- Formed South Africa's first collateralised bond obligation fund (known as Kiwane).
- Acted for Steinhoff International Holdings in the issue of Euro denominated convertible bonds (deal value approximately R3 billion).
- Restructuring the debt of Blue Financial Services which involved renegotiating the terms of approximately R1,2 billion worth of debt owed by Blue Financial Services to twelve different lenders.
- Funding agreements between:
- RMB and Life Healthcare for funding in excess of R3 billion.
- Standard Bank and Old Mutual Finance for R1 billion.
- Investec and Royal Bafokeng Holdings for preference share funding of R500 million.
- The formation of the Housing Impact Fund South Africa, a private equity and debt fund, whose committed capital is R9,150 billion.
- Chambers Global 2010, 2012 - 2014 ranks Ludwig in the top tier Band 1 inBanking and Finance and Band 3 in Tax. Chambers comments: He "understands the South African and international banking systems extraordinarily well, and can distil incredibly complex issues to the points that really matter."
- The Legal 500 EMEA series 2012 to 2014 recommended in Banking and Finance and Ludwig is named "a leading Banking and Finance lawyer".
- Practical Law CompanyPLC Which Lawyer? 2012 recommended Ludwig in the Finance field.
- Who's Who Legal - International Who's Who of Banking Lawyers 2011, 2014 and The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2011, 2014 selected Ludwig as being among the world's leading Banking lawyers.
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers 2011 selected Ludwig as a leading Banking lawyer.
- Best Lawyers International 2013 South Africa listed Ludwig in Banking and Finance.
- The IFLR1000 - Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2013 and 2014 ranks Ludwigas one of the Leading Lawyers in Capital Markets.