David Thompson is a director and regional practice head of our Corporate and Commercial practice. He advises on all aspects of South African corporate and commercial law particularly mergers and acquisitions.
David began his career as a candidate attorney in 1988. David joined Syfret Godlonton-Fuller Moore (now Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr) as an associate in 1990 and became a director in 1993.
- B.BusSc LLB LLM (Tax), University of Cape Town
- Year of admission as an attorney: 1990
- Cape Law Society
- Chairman of the Cape Law Society Competition Committee
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Disposal of 25% of major oil company (Shell) in BEE deal and related restructuring.
- Advised various funds and investors on establishment, investment and buyouts, including investors in AIIF2 infrastructure fund.
- Advised Shell regarding its sale of a share of its refining business in South Africa to Thebe including drafting and negotiating all agreements.
- Advised with regard to the restructure of Tullow Oil in Africa and advised regarding operations in Kenya.
- Advising DL Petroleum on supply and franchising arrangements.
- Attended to the establishment of Elf joint venture in South Africa.
- Advising and establishing Southern African operations for Gulf Marine.
- Advising Engen regarding franchise issues.
- Drafting numerous supply agreements for spot and term purchases of various products.
- Advising on preliminary feasibility aspects of gas project in Southern Africa.
- Chambers Global 2013 and 2014 Dave is ranked in Band 3 and recommended in Corporate/M&A. In 2009 to 2011 David is rated as Band 2 recommended in Corporate/M&A. In 2012 he is rated as Band 3. In 2004 to 2008 he isrecommended as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A.
- The Legal 500 EMEA series 2008 "Ask those in the know who the top five corporate lawyers in Cape Town are and one of the most common names you’ll hear is Dave Thompson."
- The IFLR1000 - Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2007 named David as a key contact partner for Banking and Project Finance; and Capital Markets. In 2005 David is listed as a key M&A partner. David is listed as recommended lawyer in 2012.
- International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards 2010 named David as the exclusive winner of the M&A category in South Africa.
- Best Lawyers International 2013 South Africa listed David in Corporate, Energy as well as Mergers and Acquisitions.