Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr offers deep and broad private equity experience. Our Private Equity practice in South Africa includes more than 38 lawyers and has the international backing of DLA Piper’s Private Equity group of lawyers’ worldwide. This vast network allows for the exchange of the latest information on market trends and innovative approaches, and we are able to move quickly and seamlessly on local, national and international transactions.
Our Private Equity team has extensive experience in South Africa and the sub-Saharan African region.
We have experience in all major industries, including the key sectors of interest to private equity investors such as mining and minerals, financial services, technology, telecommunications, consumer products, agriculture and infrastructure investments. We offer deep skills and extensive experience to private equity financial investors, investees, management teams and funds of every size.
Our Private Equity lawyers regularly advise private equity institutions, management teams and acquisition finance providers on all aspects of private equity transactions, ranging from transactional advice relating to acquisitions and disposals, through to assistance with maintaining and improving value in currently-held investments.
Our Private Equity practice provides the full range of services required for all stages of the investment cycle, including fund establishment, investment (early stage and expansion), buy-outs and portfolio transactions and exits. Our transactional experience allows us to advise financial investors on their eventual exit from a private equity investment, be it in a trade sale, a secondary buy-out, a listing or a virtual exit via a re-gearing. With extensive of management buy-outs, we are able to deliver informed advice on market practice. Our solutions are tailored to the particular needs of the financial investor or the management team.
Our Private Equity lawyers will guide you through complex acquisition finance issues and help you deal with the requirements of South African corporate and tax law.
Our services typically include:
- Setting up tax-efficient fund structures
- Letters of intent, heads of terms, memoranda of understanding
- Confidentiality agreements
- Due diligence processes (buy- and sell-side)
- Privately negotiated transactions
- Auctions (buy- and sell-side)
- Public take-overs
- Acquisition of all kinds of legal entities (share and asset deals)
- Acquisition finance
- Tax advice
- Venture capital
- Mezzanine finance
- Black economic empowerment structuring and solutions
- Employment law advice to drive efficiency
- Equity participation and incentive schemes for management teams
- Disposal of company's businesses
- Restructuring troubled businesses
- Dispute prevention and resolution.