Mergers and Acquisitions
To close a deal effectively, you need exceptional legal advice at each stage of the process – managing risk, ensuring you meet regulatory requirements and working at every aspect of the transaction to maximise the value of the asset.
That’s where Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr’s Corporate M&A team can help. We advised on more M&A deals than any other law firm in South Africa. The firm has taken top honours in the DealMakers Awards for M&A deal flow since 2009. The firm advised on 96 M&A deals in 2013, which was 21.8% of market share. The firm was also top of the legal advisors table for deal value in 2013. The value of the deals advised by the firm was R46,107 billion.
Our M&A team handles hundreds of transactions each year. According to the leading analyst rankings we have been the most active M&A legal advisers in South Africa every year since 2008, handling more transactional work than any other law firm in the .sub-Saharan region.
Our Corporate M&A team consists of some 50 qualified lawyers whose primary responsibility and expertise is transactional work. Our local team is supported by DLA Piper’s more than 600 corporate lawyers worldwide –– across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, as well as DLA Piper Group firms throughout the rest of Africa.
No transaction is too large or too complex for us to handle. We have the resources and expertise to assist you, wherever you transact. We have extensive experience in project managing complex cross border corporate activity, particularly in Africa.
Our Corporate M&A lawyers work seamlessly with experienced practitioners from other practice areas to provide the full suite of services necessary to deliver strategic support on transactional work. We will deal with regulatory requirements, advise on tax matters, manage due diligence investigations and prepare all the necessary documents. Our senior team has significant experience in pre- and post-deal structuring and integration.
Our transactional experience covers all corporate transactional and advisory work, including the following core services:
- Restructuring and unbundling of groups of companies
- Appropriate corporate structures
- Strategies and tactics in hostile takeovers
- Tax implications
- All regulatory aspects including competition, exchange control, securities and listings requirements, environmental and intellectual property aspects
- Employment law issues, including employee benefits and structures
- Black economic empowerment structures and transactions
- Financing arrangements and credit facilities
- Drafting circulars to shareholders for offers, schemes of arrangements and other corporate transactions
- Negotiating and preparing merger, purchase and sale agreements in various forms
- Conducting due diligence investigations and compiling due diligence reports
- Preparing prospectuses and pre-listing statements