Hospitality and Leisure
Our Hospitality and Leisure group is composed of a team of lawyers who cover the full spectrum of business legal services essential to those involved in this dynamic and challenging sector. Our skilled team has many years of experience working with public and private sector organisations in the industry.
Our experience in acting across the industry spectrum, for regulators and private entities, owners and operators, equips us with the know-how to deliver solutions that give you real value. We combine an in-depth understanding of the issues and key focus points on all sides of the negotiating table with our legal skills, sector experience and commercial thinking. We work in partnership with our clients to deliver commercially focused legal advice that meets your business objectives. Our pragmatic approach is designed to get you the right results, on time and at a fair price.
Our service is fully integrated, so our clients benefit from a team that understands the context of each matter.
We act for clients throughout Africa, often partnering with the local DLA Piper affiliate firms across the continent.
Our Africa Group brings together the resources and expertise of DLA Piper's global practice and leading law firms in Africa. Our clients benefit from a strong team of lawyers with local knowledge and direct experience of transactions in the hospitality and leisure sector in Africa and worldwide.
Our areas of business
- Hotels, including apartment hotels and fractional and shared ownership schemes including shareblock, sectional title, timeshare and co-ownership
- Resorts, including mixed use, leisure, timeshare, interval ownership, private residence associations
- Serviced apartments
- Leisure operations, including health and fitness facilities, spas, gyms, leisure complexes, golf courses, amusement parks, cinemas, marinas, pubs, nightclubs, casinos and gambling establishments
- Hospitality and catering operations such as restaurants, conference facilities and convention centres
Our services include:
- Corporate and commercial - buying, selling, leasing, management, marketing, financing, investing, mergers, acquisitions, disposals, stock exchange listings and other regulated matters, black economic empowerment transactions
- Intellectual property and technology - IP and IT law, advertising, e-business, media, entertainment, advertising and communication
- Employment law
- Liquor legislation
- Dispute resolution
- Debt restructuring
- Environmental law
- Real estate
- Greenfields projects
- Public affairs and lobbying
- Consumer protection legislation and consumer rights
Our clients include owners, developers, lenders and financiers, managers, franchisees and franchisors, tourism authorities, and local and national government. We act for a broad range of hospitality and leisure sector clients across the tourism industry, from hotels, airports and airlines to tourism services and attractions. We act for local and international resorts, golf estates and developments, casinos and the gaming industry, and the wine and liquor industries.
We advise local, national and international entities, small and large businesses, emerging and established operators.