Tax is a highly regulated area, carefully monitored and strictly enforced by the authorities, so planning, implementing and reporting on significant business transactions is best undertaken with a clear understanding of the tax consequences and under the protection of legal professional privilege.
Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr’s Tax practice offers advice on local and international corporate tax planning and transactional work. Our Tax team includes specialist tax lawyers and accountants that combine expertise in tax planning and structuring with an appreciation of your legal needs. Our aim is to deliver clear and practical business solutions.
Our Tax team works on stand-alone tax matters or as part of a team in corporate transactions to maximise tax opportunities and tax efficiency in all areas of your business. We work alongside lawyers from across our firm’s practice areas to provide a commercially integrated approach, which ensures that transactions are structured efficiently from inception through to implementation.
Our alliance with DLA Piper and the DLA Piper Africa Group allows us to move quickly and seamlessly on cross-border transactions where we are able to coordination information and resources to achieve your corporate objectives wherever in the world you transact.
Our Tax services include:
- Tax advice - asset disposal and acquisitions; group analysis and restructuring; financial services taxation; employee share incentive schemes; new business operations and capital allowance reviews.
- International tax - inbound and outbound investment; treatment of foreign exchange differences; thin-capitalisation; transfer pricing; permanent establishments; controlled foreign companies; foreign tax credits; double taxation agreements.
- Independent tax reviews and due diligence - identifying and assessing risks: income tax, PAYE, VAT, CGT and international tax.
- Tax dispute resolution - responding to SARS queries; managing SARS audit process; drafting objections and appeals; representing clients in alternative dispute resolution reviews and tax litigation.
- Exchange control – satisfying exchange control requirements.
- Indirect tax consulting – VAT services: the VAT Act, identifying and assessing risks, cross-border planning, and dispute resolution.
- Tax training – tailor-made for your company and industry.
- Tax management - governance reviews and assessments; chairing and serving on tax committees; workshops on identifying tax risk and control: formulating tax strategy and policy.
"Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr’s 'world-class' reputation is thanks in part to Emil Brincker, who is 'a cut above the rest' and the foremost tax expert in South Africa on corporate reorganisations and structured finance transactions,' and is also recommended for tax litigation." The Legal 500 EMEA 2012